I will totally admit, that until very recently, I had no idea what a Liebster Award was. That’s probably because I have only been blogging for, what, a whole 5 months? Needless to say, I was shocked and honored to be nominated for 3 Liebster Awards by some awesome bloggers!
For those, like me, who are unfamiliar with the Liebster Award, it is an internet award given to bloggers by other bloggers. It’s main objective is to recognize newbies to the blogosphere by bringing attention to blogs who have 200 or less followers and who are just starting out.
Turns out, the word Liebster, which is German in origin, has several meanings including sweet, kind, nice, and ironically, boyfriend. So it feels fitting.
The rules for receiving an award are as follows:
- Acknowledge and thank your nominator and link back to their blogs.
- Then answer the 11 questions that your nominator(s) wrote for you.
- Afterwards, add 11 random facts about yourself.
- Display the award on your blog that can be copied by your nominees.
- Finally, nominate 11 of your own bloggers for Liebster Awards and give them your own set of 11 questions to answer.
So without further adieu, I will happily and graciously accept my awards from:
Niki Cleland-Hura from Nothing Short of Chic for my 1st nomination! Thank you Niki!! Niki has asked me to answer the following questions:
- How did you choose the name for your blog? Easy – I was feeling old, was (am) single, was bitter about it, and was a little drunk when I decided to start blogging about my crappy dating experiences.
- How did you decide on the subject of your blog? My life at that time was focused so much on being older and single, and I was on a ton of different dating apps having one bad experience after another. They say you should write about what you know, well I know relationships – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- If you could choose a film to be reviewed in this blog which one would you choose? While not technically a film, because it’s a mini series (and I only saw the first episode), I would love to see you review 11/22/63 streaming on Hulu right now.
- Why? Have you read the book??? It’s in-credible!!
- Which of my film reviews would you pass onto a friend if you wanted them to see the film with you? Terms of Endearment – duh!
- Why? Shirley McClaine and Jack Nicholson! People who don’t know about this film need to know about this film! It’s a classic, and you reviewed it beautifully.
- Which of my TV reviews would you pass onto a friend if you wanted them to watch the programme with you? Grand Designs
- Why? Because I’ve never seen it or heard of it, but now I am dying to see it after your review had me cracking up! And I love anything related to interior design.
- If you could move anywhere as an expat where would you move? Barcelona – although I would need to brush up on my Spanish.
- Why? It’s one of the favorite places I’ve traveled to – big city feel, but more cultural and artsy.
- Final question… What 3 tips would you give for a first time blogger? 1) Write for yourself, not for others. 2) Don’t be afraid to be controversial. 3) Never stop spell checking / grammar checking. I continuously find errors that I missed and have to edit my work after publishing.
Thank you to Caroline Cassidy at Silent D and Me for my 3rd nomination! Caroline had the following questions for me:
1. Why did you start your blog? I was sick of spending my free time feeling mopey and sorry for myself, or drunk / sober dialing my exes, so I decided to do something productive. Plus, my friends always told me I could write a book about my experiences. This seemed easier.
2. What’s your happiest memory? Oddly enough, probably my wedding day! I’m divorced now…
3. What would be the title of your autobiography? Hopefully “Old, married, happy, & drunk”
4. Who would play you, in a film of your life story? Julia Roberts – only because I’ve been told that I resemble her (maybe a little)
5. Which is your favourite season? Summer! Until it’s the summer, and then I complain that it’s too hot.
6. If the world was going to end tomorrow, how would you spend your last day? In a cuddle sandwich with my nephews and my dog.
7. If you had to pick a new first name for yourself, what would it be? Wow – that’s a tough one. When I was younger I wanted to be named Samantha so that I could be called Sam for short. Ah, the 80’s. As a nod to my youth, I will go with that.
8. Who would be your ultimate dinner party guests? Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana. And I have no idea why. Maybe I’m partial to blondes…?
9. If you could give your younger self a piece of advice, what would it be? Step back and be appreciative and grateful for what you have because it’s going to be a bumpy road moving forward. I actually wrote a blog post about this very subject!
10. What’s your favourite quote? “Life sucks – get a fucking helmet.” – Dennis Leary
11. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given? Only do things for others because you want to and because it makes you feel good, not with the expectation that you will get anything in return, or you will often find yourself disappointed.
Here are the 11 random facts about myself:
- I’m a speed reader – it is rare for me to not start and finish a book in a single day.
- I find it extremely relaxing to stand on my head for long stretches of time.
- I was my face with soap about 3-4 times a year. Instead I use coconut oil to wash and moisturize my face on a daily basis. My skin has never been better.
- Only 4 people in my life know that I write a blog. None of them are family members.
- I used to only drink Diet Dr. Pepper. I had to wean myself off of it like a drug. Now I only drink flavored sparkling water.
- I have cried at the end of every season of The Bachelor.
- Like much of the world right now, I’m obsessed with True Crime stories. Free Adnan!
- I have 86 tv series set to record on my DVR and I live alone. (I’m sure some of them are no longer airing….)
- I never really enjoy coffee unless I make it myself with my Girl Scout Cookie Samoa creamer.
- I read my tarot cards every Sunday night in order to see what the upcoming week will be like for me.
- I have terrible insomnia.
And now I am excited to announce my own list of Liebster Award nominations!
Provoke A Smile – a blog by Jena Bandini Fine
tasdetrucs – a blog by Natasha Holmes
Laura X Loves – a blog by Laura Erueti
Our Humble ABode(n) – a blog by Coco Gingrass
Style & Glow – a blog by Marissa Mazzuca
The Endeavours of Life – a blog by Paul Le
Peri 10k – a blog by Katya Varbanova and others
Inviting Shift – a blog by Christina Smith
Revolve Around Me – a blog by Daisy Kosmider
Body Connection Obsessed – a blog by Suncana Selimovic
The Rhoyal Report – a blog by Rhonda Lofton
Here are my questions for my nominees:
- What inspired you to begin blogging?
- How did you come up with the name for your blog?
- Is blogging your full-time gig? If not, what other job(s) do you have?
- What do you do when you get writer’s block?
- Which article of yours is your favorite and why?
- What would be one piece of advice you would have for someone just starting their blog?
- What is the biggest misconception that you had about blogging before you began?
- What is the most valuable thing that you have learned since you started your blog?
- What is your favorite hobby outside of blogging?
- How many hours a week do you dedicate to your blog, on average?
- Tell me one interesting fact about yourself 🙂
Thank you again to the wonderful bloggers who nominated me and congratulations to the wonderful bloggers who I have nominated! Good luck and wishing you much success! xoxo